Relocating is no small venture and big ventures tend to bear a financial burden. That’s why when you move, financial preparation is key to its success. Knowing exactly what you need to complete your move will help you identify the cost of your move.
Road Scholars is here to help you avoid unnecessary moving costs and budget for your move, so that you aren’t surprised with excessive costs throughout your moving process. It all comes down to proper management, knowing what you’re getting into, and some organization.
The Decluttering Process
Moving is a great time to purge. Getting rid of unwanted or unnecessary items is going to make your life so much easier on moving day and once you’ve arrived at your new location. It’s also an excellent financial resource in a time when you’re spending more money than usual.
Choose the items that are suitable for resale. Consider having a garage sale advertising on social media channels, using apps, or good ol’ fashioned word of mouth through friends and family or community boards.
For those items that don’t sell, donation is the way to go. If they didn’t sell, don’t take it as a sign that you should keep them, you’ve already made the hard decision to give them up. So, give them up. True, you’re not necessarily making tangible money on them, but you’ll save on packing materials, moving truck weight, and overall time and energy in packing, loading, and unpacking.
If You Can’t Budget for It, Don’t
In a perfect world, hiring a moving company for a full-service move is best, they’re professional, they know all the tricks to get your belongings where they’re going safely, they use all the proper equipment, and know how to bend without throwing out a back or knee.
However, if you simply can’t afford the full-service treatment, don’t force it financially. That will only add to an already stressful situation. So, what do you do? You start preparing in advance.
- Start packing as soon as you can, spreading it out will help with time-management and finances (ask your friends and family to help and pay in pizza)
- Try to find boxes and other moving supplies for free (Nextdoor is an excellent resource for this, also ask your local liquor and grocery stores)
- Determine if you want to hire a professional moving company for any part of your move and call around to at least three Denver moving companies for binding moving quotes, the earlier you book, the less it will cost you (moving between October and February is considered off-season and usually costs less, as well as moving mid-month and mid-week if you can swing it)
Costly Moving Extras
Some of the most common moving extras you can splurge on are:
- Paying your movers to pack and unpack you
- Buying special packing supplies for specific items (mattresses, large or heavy pieces of furniture or appliances, fine art, etc.)
- Paying for disassembly and reassembly of your items
- Paying to move excessively large and heavy pieces (pool tables, pianos, etc.)
- Paying for moving protection valuation
- Fees associated with movers having to use the stairs
- If the movers need to park too far from the front door, they may have long carry costs
All of these costs will add up, so pick and choose and prioritize what’s most necessary for your specific moving process and ask your professional movers about the costs associated with the tasks you want most.
Moving is a big expense, there’s no way around it, but knowing what you want will help you plan and manage your finances accordingly. Remember that your time and energy are also valuable, weigh out the pros and cons of hiring professional movers for part or all of your moving needs.
Road Scholars Moving
Road Scholars are true scholars when it comes to all things moving. Our movers are all background checked and are given the proper education to handle your most important possessions. From lifting techniques to packing excellence to details on how to successfully get through a challenging move, we give our movers all the insights they need to work at their fullest capability.
We’re also licensed and insured. We use only the best, state of the art equipment and vehicles. We’re affordable, honest, and experienced. Offering a very personal touch to a very personal event. Contact us at (303) 693-7070 or at [email protected] You can also find us online at roadscholarsmoving.com. Proudly serving the Denver Metro Area, Centennial, Littleton, Englewood, Aurora, Lone Tree, Parker, all across Colorado and beyond.